Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rashy-Rash


Rory was born with skin that was not oh-so baby soft, especially on her feet. Her doc said she just had baby eczema and that she will probably grow out of it. She didn't and the aquafor we slathered on her daily was all greasy and stopped working. Cortisone seemed to make it worse. Strange, I know. It wasn't really bothering her until late summer, when she started to get irritated about it. I got a suggestion to try chapstick from a eczema sufferer. I got some plain-old, nothing added chapstick and gave it a try. Within 45 minutes, Rory broke out in hives ALL OVER!!! I was freaking out! I gave her a bath to wash off the chapstick, and rushed her to Urgent Care. They said that it was an allergic reaction to the chapstick (duh!) and that Benedryl would do the trick. Needless to say, I was pretty stinking embarrassed about saying to the doctor: I put chapstick on my 10 month old baby to try to get rid of her rashy-rash. The doctor just laughed and it made me feel a little bit better...kind of. Her hives went away, but the eczema stayed. We started putting tights on her everyday because crawling was irritating it on her ankles and legs. Finally, enough was enough and we headed to the dermatologist. He gave us some cortisone-based cream and it's doing the trick! She does not flare-up as much anymore. And with a new line of Aveeno Baby Eczema products, we are on our way to a less red rashy-rash on our Rory-kins. Yes, Rory-kins. That's the nickname my mom gave her and all the cousins use it now.




No comments: