With Jeanette studiously teaching the laziest 5th grade class in the West Covina School district on this fine MLK day, Sam and I joined up with my family in Ojai to visit some old haunts of my childhood.
My grandparents moved from South Pasadena decades ago and bought a piece of land adjacent to the Ventura River which contained many "mobile estates" as an investment. Of course all are in denial of the fact that it was more accurately a trailer park. There are no tornadoes in this narrow valley, however the river bed, while a small stream now, has been known to become a quarter mile wide torrent that has overrun its banks and transport car-size boulders, and some unfortunate cars, downriver.
My grandparents moved from South Pasadena decades ago and bought a piece of land adjacent to the Ventura River which contained many "mobile estates" as an investment. Of course all are in denial of the fact that it was more accurately a trailer park. There are no tornadoes in this narrow valley, however the river bed, while a small stream now, has been known to become a quarter mile wide torrent that has overrun its banks and transport car-size boulders, and some unfortunate cars, downriver.
In summers, and in times when the river had a heavier flow, my family and cousins would spend considerable time constructing dams for the resulting swimming holes and floating in inner-tubes down long stretches of boulder-strewn mini-rapids.
Splashing the younger cousins with ever increasing sized rocks into the water gave way to moving big rocks to form an easier path across the stream. I remembered those past summers all the more while dumping large rocks in place and looking back to see Sam scrambling in the mud looking for the next rock that needed to be thrown into the mix. A small contribution to the greater whole.
Everyone correctly mentions that Sam looks like a clone of her mom and then they turn to me with that uncertain look while attempting to find that elusive contribution. Do you mean more than a Y chromosome? Don't worry about it. At the river, Sam was with her dad chucking rocks into the water and listening intently I'm sure on how to find the perfect stone for skipping. I'll take that as my own.
5 comments:
The river is certainly much more enjoyable to play in when it is the calm stream than the quarter-mile wide torrent (although amazing to watch). Nate and I will have to make it back up to Ojai sometime to see what's changed since our time there, although I don't really miss it. There certainly are some trailers mixed in with some of the mobile homes.
We shall see how Sam does with her first moss fight. It was really cool seeing her down there Monday with my kids. The legacy lives on. Too bad Davin is so freaky about water. I wanted to play too. Good to see you both. missed you Jeanette.
So glad you posted a comment. I admit we are lame bloggers and I am only hoping that Mike will soon take over. I love reading everyone elses but then run out of time to post anything of our own. Samantha is beautiful!
It looks like Sam had a fun day. Too bad you had to miss out. I'll call you today. Sorry about missing your phone call. Two sick kids. :(
Jeanette! I miss you! How are you doing? I found your blog through Laura's. Your family is so cute!
Post a Comment