Jason and I just got back from a trip to Reno, NV. We took Sam to my parents house in Henderson, and we went on our first vacation since 2003 ALONE!!!! Can I just tell you that I had such a good time relaxing and checking out a place I've never been to before. Jason was doing some research for one of his geography classes and we were doing some research on a place we might like to live someday. I've never lived anywhere besides California and Utah, and so it was good to see someplace else.
We stayed with Chris and Nicole O'Neil. They were so helpful in guiding us around the city. We were there for St. Patrick's Day; Chris and Nicole hosted a party where they served corned beef, boiled veges and potatoes, green marshmallow salad, spinach salad, homemade currant and rye bread, and mint brownies with homemade mint ice cream. Their friends and family pitched in with the food, and we just enjoyed eating it. Okay, I did help peel the parsnips and turnips! They marinated the corned beef in beer for over a week. It was SO GOOD. The next night Chris made grilled corned beef, cheese, and mustard sandwiches! I even dipped mine in homemade horseradish. YUM! I usually do not go for horseradish, but Nicole made it so I knew it would be good, and it was tasty!
Other than enjoying yummy food, we went to Lake Tahoe, which is where we took most these photos. The Lake was gorgeous, and only 40 minutes away from Reno. We also looked at some model homes just for fun. It's hard decided what size house we need and what amenities we want. As Chris said, you really don't need a huge house, it's just that a lot of people want it. The constant battle between wants and needs.
This photo was the Truckee River that runs right through the middle of downtown. Totally bizarre to see a River running through downtown with people kayaking, playing with their dogs, and watching their children play.
We stayed with Chris and Nicole O'Neil. They were so helpful in guiding us around the city. We were there for St. Patrick's Day; Chris and Nicole hosted a party where they served corned beef, boiled veges and potatoes, green marshmallow salad, spinach salad, homemade currant and rye bread, and mint brownies with homemade mint ice cream. Their friends and family pitched in with the food, and we just enjoyed eating it. Okay, I did help peel the parsnips and turnips! They marinated the corned beef in beer for over a week. It was SO GOOD. The next night Chris made grilled corned beef, cheese, and mustard sandwiches! I even dipped mine in homemade horseradish. YUM! I usually do not go for horseradish, but Nicole made it so I knew it would be good, and it was tasty!
Other than enjoying yummy food, we went to Lake Tahoe, which is where we took most these photos. The Lake was gorgeous, and only 40 minutes away from Reno. We also looked at some model homes just for fun. It's hard decided what size house we need and what amenities we want. As Chris said, you really don't need a huge house, it's just that a lot of people want it. The constant battle between wants and needs.
This photo was the Truckee River that runs right through the middle of downtown. Totally bizarre to see a River running through downtown with people kayaking, playing with their dogs, and watching their children play.
I found these wind chimes (although they did not chime, I just don't know what else to call them) attached to light posts in downtown. Pretty cool, I thought.
You can thank Jason for posing me picking the nose of this buffalo. This ones for you, Scott and Daniel.
Jason, showing his rock skipping skills. Even in the waves...he's good!!!
Jeanette's right about this one. My skills pretty much make me the best ever.
We both enjoyed Reno, and I found out that there is quite a bit you can do there. It's hard for me though because I am used to having tons of things like museums, parks, and other attractions available any day of the week. I can go to Travel Town, Disneyland, the beach, the mountains, any number of parks, the Zoo, the Natural History Museum (among others) all in one week. But, as I am reminded, outside of major metropolitan areas, the rest of the country is not like that. Decisions, decisions.
3 comments:
It looks like you guys had a great time. So jealous that you got to go with no kids. That is so not n my immediate future. Your pictures were awesome. What kind of camera do you have? I need it. I'm so excited for your visit. Call me:)
jeanette,
you look hot and i miss you...
the gym is not the same without you.
i've had the taste of having a friend at the gym, and i don't know if it will ever be the same again.
do i sound creepy when i say you look hot? that's funny.
wait, so are you for sure moving there? I'm confused. It would be a blast if you did cuz we're possibly going to be moving to the OTHER side of Tahoe, so within 2 hours is TOTALLY do-able :)
glad you had a great time!!
Post a Comment