Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sam's First Day of School

Samantha started school last week. Shocking, I know, she's not even three yet. But she attends a behavioral center for children with a variety of special needs. Samantha has a speech delay that is pretty significant so she is able to have one-on-one speech therapy and attend school three days a week. I am so glad that I pushed the issue of speech with her pediatrician. The help that she has received so far has been amazing, and she loves her speech therapist. Samantha's goals are vast, but I think she will be able to reach them all. The first couple of times she went to school I was at a loss as to what to do with my alone time. A good friend told me that I need to spend that time doing something for myself. I think she is right...not to be selfish or anything, but I want to use that time for the betterment of myself. I'm sure I will keep busy once the shock of not having her around wears off. She loved putting on her backpack and going to school. She is interacting with other kids, jumping on the trampoline TONS, and eating a little better. The only thing is that the ladies there are not hearing her say much of anything yet. Hopefully that will change soon!!

4 comments:

Brooke Morgan said...

She is adorable. I'm glad she enjoys school. You're lucky!

Rees Family said...

What a big girl she is. I would for sure use that time for myself. Go shopping, get a pedicure, or just take a nap. I am way jealous.
She is going to do so well. Just give her some time and I'm sure those teachers will help her make some significant progress. You know how it goes- nothing happens overnight, especially when it comes to kids.

Rees Family said...

I forgot to tell you that I love your new header. She is adorable!!!

A Pendley said...

What a cute girl! Mikey started school a couple weeks ago for some delays too! I am so glad that their are resources like this available to help them at a young age!