Thursday, May 22, 2008
Advice for Picky Eater
So, for those of you who know Samantha, you know that she is a picky eater. I put fruits and vegetables out with lunch and dinner, but she refuses to eat them. She used to eat yogurt, but now refuses that. She won't even eat a peanut butter sandwich; it has to be toasted face open. And even then, she does not eat the bread...she just likes off the peanut butter. Literally, all she is willing to eat are crunchy snacks, peanut butter toast, and waffles. Even then, sometimes she won't eat at all. I worry about her. I know toddlers are very picky, but this is ridiculous. Bribery does not work with her because she does not understand it. Timeouts for not eating doesn't work either. I try to not be emotional about it and just let her eat what she will, but the fact that she survives on carbs alone, with some protein from the peanut butter, and calcium from the milk she drinks, is worrisome. Any advice out there from more experienced moms, or any recommendations on good books to read, or maybe even a pediatric nutritionist???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm feeling your pain girl!! Brooklyn is existing on meat, fruit snacks, and water. No milk. No fruits and veggies. It is awful. I just scheduled her appt. with a food allergist. Her allergies are so BAD right now. It is very sad. So.......no advice...just a "I know what you are going through." Sorry. :( See ya June 3rd.
Not advice of a parent, but how about that of an older sister. My youngest brother Mark was like that, only his diet was mac and cheese (only kraft brand) PB&J and cereal (of course with juice atop because he's allergic to milk). And my parents tried everything, he couldn't leave the table - so he'd sleep there, he'd be grounded - but that never lasted. But you know what, he's an adult now, he's fine, he eats. Once my parents backed off, he just started trying stuff on his own. I'd say all the Oregon Thompsons are picky eaters even today, but we're healthy and strong all the same.
I wouldn't worry if she's still developing like a normal kid. I think she's pretty darn cute, so I think you'll be fine.
Boy do I know what that's like! Between Jefferson and Jackson we go crazy. Luckily Mason still eats pretty much anything. First of all, I'd say, don't worry too much about it as long as she's still growing- toddler's need fewer calories than we think (my pediatrician reassured me of that when I last asked about Jackson's pickiness). Jackson is totally the carb-lover also and his diet is fairly similar to Sam's. He mainly eats dairy products and bread (waffles included). He does tend to eat a little better around other children (like in his playgroup). Don't force her eating because it will probably just make her more stubborn, but maybe try to make eating more fun. Try having things to dip her food into (ranch with veggies, ketchup with chicken nuggets, peanut butter with apples, etc). Maybe give her "samples" on toothpicks. Don't give her a lot of food at one time- it's overwhelming. Add some Carnation Instant Breakfast to her milk to boost her calorie intake while adding some extra vitamins and minerals. You could also give her some pediasure occasionally. I probably could go on with suggestions, since I've gotten so many for Jackson but I don't want to write a book here. The main thing is persistence. Just keep offering her different foods and maybe one day she'll surprise you and try it- Jackson does every once in awhile.
no advice...
that's because i am raising a future anorexic.
i am so frustrated.
we're trying something new this year-emma helped us plant some seeds for some carrots and green beans. I've heard that if they help you do something, they're more likely to eat it-so maybe have her help you make her lunch? We'll let you know how this garden thing works. I know you live in an apartment, but you can do container gardening...
oh ya, have you tried beans? that's a good source of protein.
GOOD LUCK! But like the other girl said, they'll eventually grow up and eat normally-it just breaks our hearts now to see our kids do things that aren't helping them be healthy :(
Post a Comment