Saturday, December 20, 2008

Desperate Mother Seeking Potty Training 101


Ok, so I need help. Samantha, I have discovered, may be the most stubborn girl on the planet. When she started daycare a few weeks ago I talked with the director about diapering her/potty training her while there at school. The director said that if I want her to be potty trained then I should not send any diapers and start potty training the very first day. I thought (with a shaky voice in my head), "okaaaayyyy." I was apprehensive, but at the same time willing to let someone else do the hard task of potty training. Well, after many, many attempts at school to be sat on the potty and after many, many times cleaning up accidents at home and at my babysitting job, I don't know what to do. She still has not gone pee-pee in the potty and only has gone #2 once in the potty because she was in such pain that she did it. The constipation that has ensued has also been ridiculous. Painful for Sam and annoying that I have to help her get the poop out. I have tried reading to her, singing to her, dancing for her, bribing her with stickers, M&M's, and even Disneyland. I bought a funny singing potty for her and she has a seat for on top of the potty. Nothing! Suggestions? Do I throw in the towel? Do I stick it out? What?!!!! She is currently climbing on me begging for a diaper and Disneyland. HELP!

8 comments:

Maryann said...

I bribed Kimberlee with little toys that I had in the bathroom so she could see them and every time she went she would get something in the beginning. The more she did it the farther between the prizes. Stickers, candy, etc. didn't really work for her. Hang in there. If she isn't ready you may want to wait a month and then try again. In my opinion, potty training is the hardest thing we moms have to do.

A Pendley said...

Every child is soooo different. I need to potty train Mikey but my experience of potty training my girls is still haunting me :) Rewards never worked for either one of my daughters. For each of my girls I tried for a week at a time. If they did not seem to catch on then I stopped for a couple weeks and started up again. What worked for Robyn is I threw away ALL of her pull ups. For some reason this worked for her and she never had an accident day or night. This did not work for LoriAnne though.
Samantha will catch on but even if it doesn't happen for a few months that is ok. Potty training was one of the hardest things for me.
Good Luck!

peter5 said...

Jeanette, having gone through this 4 times and getting ready tomorrow to start for the fifth time, I am here to tell you, there is no one easy way. I have used the candy jar for some. Others came by it easier. Maryn and Blake were well over 3 when they potty trained. Dr. Phil has a "foolproof" method. I have never used it though. My friend Jennie does the naked method. I really can't bring myself to do this. I know more people who have used it though and it worked for them. Try setting her on the potty while you turn the shower on in the morning. The power of suggestion can work. Put some fiber in her juice, there are non clumping/gelling kinds. Oh yeah benefiber. Since she is such a stinker about eating, this will help with the constipation. White grape juice works well for the constipation also. My final advice is to quit. This is the one real thing she has control over. no one can make her pee or poop. You can potty train until she is ready, or you wait until she is ready and it will be less stressful. remember, no one knows who potty trained first in Kindergarten.

Teressa P. said...

I (thankfully) haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I have heard the Dr. Phil way works pretty good. I guess don't take my advice because I haven't been through it yet. Good luck!

Jeanette said...

I will check out Dr. Phil and keep up the good fight (not that I want it to be a fight, but you know what I mean.) I am accepting the fact that maybe now is not the time, but I will keep trying! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

Jackson is older than Sam and after many short-lived attempts he is not yet potty-trained, so don't feel bad about how old she is. He's just not ready, no matter how much I want him to be. He thinks sitting on the potty is "fun" but rarely does anything in it. At this point we are too close to having a new baby in the house to risk getting him trained and then regressing, so we a taking a break for a couple months. I'm pretty sure that Mason and Jackson will end up potty training at the same time now.

Oh, and I recorded the Dr. Phil method at some point to use with Jefferson but he ended up doing it with the naked/sticker/treat method so I've never actually tried the Dr. Phil method.

Rees Family said...

I'm right there with you on this sister!!!! I have attempted to start potty training Brooklyn and it was going really well, but once she peed on my brand new carpet, I completely lost it. I started hyperventilating and had to take a break. I've decided to resume after the holidays when we get back from Utah. Good luck. I ahve no advice. I'm just hoping that Brooklyn will eventually potty train herself. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Mary said...

The only advice I can give is stop!! If she's not ready and that makes you not ready then do everyone a favor and wait!! That's what I did with Cale and he trained himself in a day. Good luck...it's different with each kid so it's hard to say what would work for her. But do yourself at least one favor and wait until after Christmas!!