
Okay, so I have a confession to make. I am a super slow reader. Partly because I lose interest very quickly and partly because whenever I start to read two thing inevitably happen: 1. I fall fast asleep, or 2. my mind wanders and I read the same sentence a dozen times. As a result, I don't finish books very often. The DaVinci Code? Read 3/4ths of it and then asked my mom to tell me how it ended. Blink...yeah, got through half. Wicked...loved the broadway show that I saw twice, but the book? Not even half done! Harry Potter...attempted to read the first one back in my Children's Literature class because I had to....never finished it. I was able to complete the assignment without having to read it all. I have actually completed some books in my lifetime, though the list is pretty short. I loved The Giver, Believing Christ, I am a Mother, Three Cups of Tea (AMAZING, by the way), and some other juvenile chapter books. Yes, I used to be a teacher, but my time was focused on grading papers, not reading for fun. I definitely did not practice what I preached in that category! Well, one book has caught my attention...a bit after the rest of the free world. Stephenie Meyer was (ok, still IS) a very popular author. I heard about her and her vampire books awhile ago, but I was not really interested. I heard it was like a romantic novel, but for teenagers. And then all these adult women were reading it. It appeared on the desk of one of my fifth-graders last year. I have to admit, it was too popular for me to read. I don't like to do things that are a fad that will just pass. I don't like to do what everyone else is doing. I don't like to be swept up in all the hype...especially over just a book. WELLLLL, I had to bite my tongue and take my foot out of my mouth. I finished Three Cups of Tea on Sunday, and saw that my sister-in-law had Twilight. I thought, I don't have another book waiting in the wings for me to read, so I'll just pick it up while all the kids are busy playing and don't need my attention. I sat there reading, and was surprised that I had gotten through 20 pages in a matter of a few minutes. I was shocked! Remember me, SLOW reader! (20 still may be slow for some of you speedy ones out there, but for me...impressive!) I told myself to put it down. I can't get into this hyped up series! I left it at my sister-in-laws and tried not the think about it. I had better things to do...like watch the Olympics and hang out with my husband. That night, I kept wondering what this Bella girl was going to do with herself and how Edward played a role in her soon to be changing life. I could not get if off my mind. So, the next day I picked up the book, and did not put it down until I was done with it. (OK, I did not really read straight through...I do have children to take care of and a girl's gotta eat). But, I have neglected the Olympics and my husband for the past few nights. And, I can't wait to pick up the next one today from my sis-in-law. I just got so wrapped up in the story, imagining everything that was happening and what all the characters looked like. I related to how Bella is so in love with Edward and how she is constantly describing him like a god, or supermodel, or anything that was ridiculously good-looking (Zoolander, anyone?) Jennifer and Natalie will remember how we swooned over guys in high school that were super cute (not vampire gorgeous, but close). The way the author captures the teenager life of silly girls wanting to know every detail about a date, or dress shopping is so accurate, or even Bella...less silly, but full of teenage angst. I talked over the book with Jason last night and he was surprised at how into I was. It surprised me too. I honestly can't remember the last time I cared so much about reading a book and how much I wanted to read more. So, there you have it; my secret confession...not quite so secret anymore.
10 comments:
Yay for you! It really is such a fun series. I didn't realize the popularity of the series a year ago when I picked up Twilight, but shortly thereafter found out. I only had heard about the series from a brief newspaper article about Stephenie Meyer and her "vampires with morals" concept. I saw vampires, clean, young adult and was there. I love me some vampires.
Jeanette - I'm so glad you discovered 3 Cups of Tea. (yes, the vampire books are good too in a different way.) But I've recommended 3 Cups to so many friends and no one has believed me. Today you and a friend of mine both blogged about it. I'm so glad people are reading it, and I total agree with you, it's amazing.
Oh, and don't finish Wicked. I'm upset I did. It almost ruined the musical. The musical is so loooosely based on the book. Be greatful you stopped.
Yeah I am with ya on the whole I don't do the fad thing, but Lisa read these finally and so on our Angels Camp vacation I read the first three during the first 4 days. Totally obsessed. It kind of bothered me how obsessed I was. I wasn't as happy with number 4, but still good. Come swimming some time. Sam would love it and the kids would love to see her.
Yay for a new post. Um...seriously...welcome to 2008. Where the heck have you been? We are best friends and you just read Twilight. You are crazy. I LOVE this series. I just finished the
4th one and am so sad that I don't have another one to read. Way to not go along with the fad, but come on, these books are a must-read for everyone. I'm with ya on the relating to the teenage years. Crazy!!!! Great post, but I want pics. My parents have been in town the past few days and I have tons of pics, I'll post soon.
Welcome to the vampire world. I swore I would never read a book about vampires cause how teenage is that? I love them though...actually have read the series twice this year. kind of pathetic.
I am glad that you have jupmed on the wagon! I really enjoyed the Twilight Series too. They are definitely hard to put down:)
That's so funny. I am the exact same way with books! Remember the Work and the Glory series? I think I read the first one, started the second and never finished. I started Harry Potter, never finished the first one. Jurassic Park... read the first chapter. etc... I haven't given these Twilight series a chance yet... I borrowed them from a friend to read and after they sat on my shelf for over a month I gave them back thinking, "yeah right, I'm not going to read them." (Although Scott picked it up to read the first chapter to see what all these women, including his sisters and mom, were so worked up about and he ended up reading them both in two nights. I laughed at him.) Maybe I should borrow them again. :) You've inspired me!
I'm obsessed w/ them too. Well, I was. Now I've finished them. And I got Janna to read them as you read above. She was like me looking online to check out who they've cast for the parts in the movie. So good!!!
i knew you would like them. way to get out of your comfort zone!
I felt the same way about this book before I read it. I really wasn't interested in reading about vampires. Then I started. I read all four books in a matter of 2.5 weeks! Since I read them way too quickly and am now missing them, I went online and found Edward's side of Twilight (Midnight Sun) on Stephenie Meyer's website and read the 260 pages of that too. Now I can't wait for the movie... I LOVE EDWARD!
Post a Comment